Serves six to twelve people.
For the Salad:
- 3 Large Broccoli stems with florets (or combination of broccoli and cauliflower)
- 1 lb. bacon fried crisp and crumbled up very small (or use just a few slices rather than a whole pound!)
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries (I prefer cranberries)
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- a big handful of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Peel broccoli stems and cut into bite-sized pieces. Cut up the florets into ~1cm square pieces, and add to the stems with the bacon, raisins, almonds, red onion, and cheese (if using). Toss with following dressing:
Creamy Cider Dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise (the real stuff tastes best)
- 3 Tbsp sugar, or less if preferred
- 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
Mix the dressing ingredients together with a whisk.
Add the dressing to the broccoli mixture, and allow to mellow for a while before serving. Keeps well for one day.