- 2 large yellow onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature (we use “Western” brand, natural)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (kosher tastes best…we use “Western” brand)
- 1/2 cup good mayonnaise (make sure it’s the good stuff!)
Cut the onions into halves, and then halve again. Place in food processor and pulse until onions are in very tiny pieces (almost a puréed consistency).
Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and sauté until the onions are browned and caramelized. Allow the onions to cool. Clean out the food processor, as it will be needed in the next step.
Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise into the food processor. Add the cooled onions and pulse only until everything is well blended. Taste for seasonings. Serve at room temperature.