- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp freshly grated lemon rind
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 ¼ cups Canadian whole wheat flour, or unbleached enriched white flour (can use Cornell mix)
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda (sieved)
- 1/3 cup yogurt or light sour cream
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. In large bowl, beat together sugar, butter, egg, lemon rind and juice, mixing well. Add milk and mix well.
2. Combinge flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and baking soda in another bowl and whisk. Add to wet mixture alternately with yogurt, mixing just until incorporated. Do not overmix.
3. Pour into greased muffin tins (will fill 10 to 12). Bake at 375F for 15 to 20 minutes.
Can also be baked in a 9”x5” greased loaf pan at 350F for 35 to 40 minutes, until tester inserted into centre comes out dry.
4. Glaze: Prick holes in top of muffins/loaf with fork. Combine icing sugar with lemon juice; pour over muffins/loaf.