- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 star anise pod
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked parboiled rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded into large pieces
- 1/4 cup toasted pistachios
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds
- Cilantro for garnish, if desired
In a large saucepan over medium heat, brown the onions in the oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the garlic, spices and rice. Continue cooking for 1 minute, stirring to coat the rice with the oil. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 25 minutes.
Add the chicken, pistachios and almonds. Continue cooking until the chicken is heated through. Taste for salt and pepper; adjust the seasoning if required. Place in serving dish and garnish if desired.