Grease a -inch square cake pan. These squares have three layers, each completed in a separate step.
. In a saucepan combine:
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Cook butter, sugar, and cocoa over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves.
To mixture in pot add and beat until smooth.
- egg, beaten
- teaspoon vanilla extract
- + 2/3 cups (finely crushed) graham wafer crumbs
- cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
Press into prepared pan.
. Choose ONE of the following ( A. or B.):
- ¼ cup butter
Beat in gradually:
- cups sifted icing (confectioners/powdered) sugar
Alternatively, should you wish to avoid using raw egg:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- 2 Tablespoons custard powder (Bird’s)
- 2 Tablespoons hot water
Spread either A. or B. over crumb mixture and chill for about ½ hour.
. Over hot water, melt together in a bowl (make sure no water gets into bowl!):
- squares semi-sweet chocolate (one square = one ounce or grams)
- tablespoon butter
Spread on top and chill. When set, cut into squares.