Well, not sure how “authentically Chinese” this is, but picked it up a long time ago from a Chinese cookbook author! As I’ve mentioned, I do not like ground beef, but I actually don’t mind this for dinner occasionally. My kids like it a lot.
- 1 pound (454 grams) lean or extra lean ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons dark soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons non-GMO vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- a large handful (or 2) frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 Tablespoons water
- Salt, to taste
In a small bowl, combine the beef with soy sauce and pepper. Mix lightly to blend well.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until golden, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Add beef and cook, stirring to break up lumps, until meat loses its pink colour, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in peas and water. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, to taste.
Serve with hot rice.