- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and minced
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 1/4 cup minced bacon
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (you can use all beef)
- 3/4 cup dry wine (red or white will do)
- 1 28-ounce can of plum tomatoes, drained, then scrunched with your fingers
- 1 cup chicken stock
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cream, half-and-half, or milk
Put the olive oil in a large, deep saucepan. Turn the heat to medium-low and, a minute later, add the onion, carrot, celery and bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally until the veggies are tender, about ten minutes.
Add the meat and cook, stirring and breaking up any lumps, untill all pinkness is gone, about 5 minutes. Add the wine, raise the heat a bit, and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes to the pot, stir, and add the stock. Turn the heat to low and cook at a slow simmer, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes and any clumps of meat that remain. After an hour or so, add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for at leaast another hour, until much of the liquid has evaporatd and the sauce is very thick.
Add the cream, and cook for another 15 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.