- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat (or regular in a pinch) macaroni noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups skim milk (or other)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2+3/4 sharp (extra old) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese for topping
- OPTIONAL: 2 green onions, sliced, and 4 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
Boil a large pot of water, add a teaspoon or so of salt. Add macaroni noodles and cook until tender but firm, about 8 minutes. Drain, and return to pot.
Meanwhile, in saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat; coon onion in the butter for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk, and cook, whisking, for about 8 minutes, or until sauce is thickened enough to coat back of a spoon.
Add mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in cheese just until melted. Pour over macaroni.
If using green onions and bacon, add now, and stir just until combined.
Spread into an 8″ square baking dish. Top with the 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Bake, uncovered, in a 350F oven for about 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.