Serve on top of — or tossed with — your favourite Chinese noodles. This can also work well with a block of extra firm tofu, instead of chicken.
- 2 Tbsp water (we usually add ½ cup or more of water to this and toss the whole recipe with our noodles)
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce or Plum Sauce (made with plums, not pumpkin or “something else”)
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp (or more) hot chilli paste
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 1 egg white, beaten with a fork
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 lb/454g boneless, skinless organic chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- ½ to 1 tsp fresh ginger root, grated
- 2 small carrots, thinly sliced on diagonal
- ½ medium green pepper, largely diced
- ½ medium red pepper, largely diced
- 1-5 fresh small red chillies, OR 1-2 finely chopped jalapeño chillies
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Handful of dry roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
Sauce: stir first 5 ingredients into a small cup or bowl until smooth. Set aside.
Chicken #1: Stir second amount of soy sauce into second amount of cornstarch in medium bowl until smooth. Add sesame oil, egg white, and garlic and whisk until smooth. Add chicken and toss until chicken is very well coated.
Veggies: Heat wok or frying pan until hot. Add cooking oil. Add garlic, ginger and carrot. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
Add green and red peppers, and chillies. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes until peppers are tender-crisp. Transfer to a bowl.
Chicken #2: Add second amount of cooking oil (1Tbsp) to hot wok. Add all of chicken mixture that is in the bowl. Stir immediately to break up chicken pieces. Stir-fry on medium-high for about 3 minutes until chicken is no longer pink. Pour in sauce, and stir until boiling and thickened. Add pepper mixture, green onions, and peanuts. Heat and stir until peppers and onions are coated, and mixture is heated through.
Garnish with more peanuts, if desired.
Makes 4 cups.
*Note: double up on the sauce ingredients if you like lots of sauce with your noodles, or just add the extra water as noted!