As sent to me by my Mom (unedited). For my updated version, check here.
Quick soak method for the wild rice:
- Wash required amount of rice in colander
- Stir rice into 3 times the amount of boiling water (1 c. rice-3 cups water)
- Par boil for 5 minutes only
- Remove from heat. Let soak in the same water (covered) for 1 hour
- Drain, wash and cook as directed in following recipe
- Required amount of cooked rice (I fill the casserole I want to use)
Heat in frying pan:
- ¼ c. butter
Add the following, and sauté for about 5 minutes:
- 1 med sized onion finely chopped,
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder,
- ½ lb. Fresh mushrooms, sliced.
- ½ cup slivered almonds
Mix into wild rice and pour over mixture:
- 1 can consommé and salt and pepper to taste.
Bake in 350 degree oven for about an hour. You will be able to tell when it’s done.