for Akilah 🙂
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (other cookie crumbs will work, too, or one could use a pre-made chocolate cookie crust)
- Good quality ice cream of your favourite flavour (vanilla is very good for this)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, not sweetened
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Slivered almonds, toasted (more if you really like them)
- Whipped cream
- Shaved chocolate curls
Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in crumbs. Press into bottom and sides of a 9” pie plate. Bake in 350F oven for 10 minutes. COOL.
When crust is completely cool, spoon softened ice cream into the shell, spreading carefully and leaving about ¼” space at the top for the topping sauce and the nuts. Place in freezer until firm.
When the ice cream filling is firm, make topping. Put all five ingredients into saucepan. Heat and stir over medium heat until boiling. Remove from heat. Cool for about 10 minutes, then smooth carefully over ice cream filling. Sprinkle with toasted almonds, and very gently press them down. Return to freezer until very firm; the topping will remain slightly gooey. This can take several hours, or even over night, depending on your freezer!
To serve, either top entire Mud Pie with whipped cream and sprinkle with shaved chocolate, or serve each individual piece with a dollop of whipped cream and a garnish of shaved chocolate (use a potato peeler to shave the chocolate from a square or bar of chocolate). The Mud Pie can be cut up into individual slices and then popped back into the freezer to take out and enjoy whenever one feels like having a treat!
* For a deeper pie, just use a spring form pan and use more ice cream