This is great for burritos or sandwiches.
- 2lb boneless pork shoulder roast, cut into 2″ pieces
- freshly ground black pepper
Sprinkle the pork generously with the salt and pepper. Place in a 3.5-or 4- quart slow cooker.
Place the following 5 ingredients inside a six-inch square of double-thickness cheese cloth (or a coffee filter tied with cotton string). Tie the corners diagonally one way, then the other:
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 3 bay leaves, broken up
Place bouquet garni into crock pot. Into the slow cooker pour:
- 2 14-ounce cans organic chicken broth, undiluted
Cover and cook on low-heat setting for approximately 12 hours. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat from slow cooker. Discard bouquet garni and cooking liquid. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds; discard any fat. ( If desired, sprinkle meat with some freshly squeezed lime juice and finely shredded lime peel to use in burritos.)