- ½ lb low salt bacon (in a box “pre-cooked” and vacu-packed)
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced (optional)
- 1 – 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- Small tomato, chopped (optional)
- 1 tin black beans, drained (rinsed, if desired)
- Water for consistency
- Salt and pepper
In a large frying pan, cook bacon over medium heat until the fat renders. Add onions, garlic, and jalapenos and sauté, preferably until golden, or at least until softened. Add tomatoes and cook until “loose” and softened. Stir in cumin, coriander and toast for a minute or two.
Pour in black beans, stir with mixture in pan, then mash with a potato masher. Add water until it is a little wetter and looser than you like it. Cook, stirring occasionally, until bean mixture has thickened to the consistency you prefer. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Use as burrito filling, as a dip for tortilla chips, etc.