- 1 tablespoon butter (not margarine)
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 2 cups Rice Crispies
- 1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped (salted is fine)
- 1/2 cup “processed” smooth peanut butter, such as Kraft (organic just doesn’t work here — it’s the wrong texture)
- 1/2 cup good chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (see above)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- In a large saucepan, put butter, corn syrup, brown sugar, peanut butter, and chocolate chips. On low-medium heat, stir until mixture is smooth and just comes to a slow boil.
- Remove from heat, and quickly stir in nuts and Rice Crispies.
- Dump mixture evenly into a greased 9″x13″ pan, and press with a buttered spatula or hands (careful, it’s hot!) until evenly distributed.
- In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, melt peanut butter and chocolate chips until smooth.
- Spread evenly over base layer. Refrigerate until firm, and cut into squares.*
*to easily remove squares, line the bottom and two sides of the pan with parchment paper.