- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose (or whole wheat) flour
- ½ cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch to ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (not imitation!)
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips OR chopped apricots OR raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Whisk together all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, cream together butter and both types of sugar until pale and fluffy; it will take about 5 minutes on medium speed. You can also do this by hand with a wooden spoon, or with a hand mixer if you don’t have an electric mixer.
- Reduce speed of electric mixer to low, and beat in the eggs and the vanilla.
- Gradually add oat mixture; mix until just combined.
- Slowly mix in chocolate chips (or other options).
- Using a 1 ½” ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2” apart.
- Bake until golden and just set, about 14 minutes. For even browning, turn the sheets 180 degrees after 7 minutes.
- Let cool on the sheet for 5 minutes, then finish cooling on a wire rack.