- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- A handful chopped flat-leaf parsley OR 1 Tbsp dried, if absolutely necessary
- 10 leaves fresh basil, thinly sliced OR 1 tsp dried basil
Heat a medium pot over moderate heat. Add oil, crushed pepper, garlic and finely chopped onion. Saute 5 to 7 minutes, until onion is soft and translucent. Add beef stock, crushed tomatoes, and herbs. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
Great with these meatballs and pasta.