Soak 9 bamboo skewers in water while making the meat mixture.
Mix together in a large bowl:
- 1 cup very finely minced onion (1 large)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- one 2 ½“ piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced (about ¼ cup)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
Add and mix with hands until evenly combined:
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
Shape this mixture into 9 flattened sausage shapes, approximately 4” long, 1 ½“ wide, and 1” high. Carefully thread each sausage shape onto a skewer.
Grill on a barbecue until browned and just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. You may also broil them in the oven, for 3 to 5 minutes per side, using a slotted broiling tray.
Serve wrapped in a warm naan or pita, or with basmati rice, and raita.