Lightly sweetened, and very dense.
- 1 cup chopped apricots
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp almond or vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped almonds (I like to use 3/4 cup slivered almonds)
- Soak apricots in the boiling water for 10 minutes, set aside, and cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and the baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Into the sugar-butter mixture, add the egg, and the almond extract. Beat well.
- Stir in the apricots and the water they’ve been soaking in. Stir well to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture, adding almonds at the same time, and stir gently. Do not over mix!
- Smooth into a greased loaf pan, and bake for about 50 minutes at 350F.
NOTE: this batter is extremely thick and does not “pour”, so don’t be alarmed when you are mixing it!