- 1 ½ cups water
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil, or butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp liquid honey (or molasses)
- 3 cups white flour (or use combination of whole wheat and white)
- ¾ cup “toasted grain mix” (see below*)
- 1/3 cup cracked wheat/bulgur
- 1 ½ tsp bread machine yeast
- Add ingredients to bread machine according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Select the whole wheat cycle, or the dough cycle.
For the dough cycle (my preferred method):
- When dough is finished, remove it from the pan onto a floured surface (about 1 to 2 Tbsp of flour).
- For freeform loaves, shape the dough into a smooth ball by pulling it down the sides and pinching underneath. Let it relax for a couple of minutes, then shape it into 1 or 2 rounds or 1 or 2 oblongs, and place on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cover with a damp tea towel, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until almost doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 400F for about 30 minutes.
*Toasted Grain Mix
- 1 cup barley flakes
- 1 cup rye flakes
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
Combine the flakes, and spread out in a shallow pan.
Toast in a 350F oven for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice.
Keep sealed in a container, or freeze until needed.
I double or triple the recipe so I have lots on hand.