- 1 ½ cups less 1 Tbsp of warm water
- 2 Tbsp milk powder
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups white flour
- ¾ cup quick oats
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 Tbsp flax seeds (we like milled)
- 2 Tbsp 12 Grain Cereal
- 1 ½ tsp bread machine yeast
Add ingredients to the machine in order listed. Use 1 ½ lb whole wheat setting if using machine for entire process. Select “Dough” to shape it by hand and bake it in your oven.
This recipe is good as a freeform loaf or buns, or makes one large bread-pan loaf. Here’s how:
For the dough cycle (my preferred method):
- When dough is finished, remove it from the pan onto a floured surface (about 1 to 2 Tbsp of flour).
- For freeform loaves, shape the dough into a smooth ball by pulling it down the sides and pinching underneath. Let it relax for a couple of minutes, then shape it into 1 or 2 rounds or 1 or 2 oblongs, and place on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cover with a damp tea towel, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until almost doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 400F for about 30 minutes, until it sounds hollow when you tap on the bottom.