Rona brought this to the food bank for our coffee break, and it is absolutely delicious! I could easily eat half a cake by myself, and I’m not a cake person; it is like a cross between a shortbread and cake texture.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. almond flavouring
- 1 and 2/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Cream butter and sugar. Add egg, and blend until well mixed. Add the flavouring, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, blend flour and baking powder together.
- Gently add the flour/baking powder mixture to the creamed mixture
- Spread into two 8″ cake pans.
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon peel, grated.
- Mix the topping ingredients together.
- Spread topping over base, wetting spoon as necessary.
- Sprinkle on:
- 1/2 pkg. of sliced almonds.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Score while warm into slices.