This is Shirlee’s recipe for sugar cookies; they do not require chilling, rolling, and cutting. She adapted the recipe from Land O Lakes’ recipe which uses only all purpose flour, instead of the combination.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (icing sugar/confectioner’s sugar)
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Sugar (for dipping glass into and pressing cookies)
- Decorator sugars, if desired
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, and baking soda, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine butter, powdered sugar and 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; continue beating until well mixed.
- Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture. Beat until dough forms a ball.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Flatten to about 1 1/2 inches with bottom of glass dipped in sugar; sprinkle with decorator sugars, if desired.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to cooling rack.
Shirl ices hers.