We’ve been on a years-long quest for a stir fried veggie recipe that duplicates takeout, and have recently found it via Grace Young, author of Stir-Frying to the Sky’s Edge, and posted at the Kitchn. Wonderful photos and tips are included with the recipe, as well as wok care etc. This is the adaptation for our own kitchen:
- 4 cups of chopped firm vegetables, OR 8 to 12 cups of leafy greens — such as baby bok choy cut into lengthwise halves, or other greens cut into 1” wide pieces
- 2 Tablespoons dry sherry or rice wine
- 1 Tablespoon chicken broth (we use organic vegetarian cubes to mix up with water for this small amount)
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 medium cloves garlic, smashed with the side of a knife
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno chilies, with seeds (optional)
- 1 Tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cut up the ingredients: it is extremely important that all of the ingredients are cut as directed! Each piece must be of uniform size. Cut the vegetables and set them aside in a bowl. Prepare the aromatics as directed and set them aside as well.
- Make the sauce: In a small bowl, combine the sherry, broth, and soy sauce.
- Heat the wok: Turn on a stove burner to high. Set a 14” wok over the burner. The wok is hot enough when droplets of water dropped into it evaporate within 1 to 2 seconds of contact. Do not overheat the wok!
- Pull the wok off of the heat and add the oil: Swirl it around until it coats the sides and bottom. If the wok smokes wildly the moment you add the oil, it is too hot.
- Add the aromatics to the wok: Put the wok back on the heat. Add the garlic and chilies, and stir them for 10 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the vegetables: Push the garlic and chilies up the sides of the wok and add the vegetables
- Season the vegetables: Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the top.
- Set a timer for 2 minutes.
- Stir-fry the vegetables for 1 minute, or until the vegetables begin to wilt.
- Add the sauce: Pour the sauce mixture around and down the sides of the pan instead of directly into the centre. Stir-fry and toss to coat the vegetables.
- Cover and cook for 15 seconds.
- Uncover and stir-fry for another 30 to 60 seconds, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender and brightly coloured.