From the PBS program “Everyday Food”, these really are yummy!
- 13 graham crackers (or enough to line the sheet)
- 1 1/2 cups toffee bits
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped toasted natural almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (4 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, chopped, or chocolate chips
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place graham crackers in a single layer on sheet, edges touching. You want to cover the entire baking sheet with graham crackers.
- Sprinkle toffee bits and almonds over graham crackers.
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar and butter to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat and cook at a rapid simmer, swirling pan occasionally, until mixture is syrupy, 2 minutes. If desired, pour the hot mixture into a 2-cup glass measuring cup to make pouring easier. Immediately pour evenly, and slowly over graham crackers.
- Bake until sugar topping is bubbling, 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate and salt over graham crackers.
- With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut into 2-inch squares.
- Let cool completely on sheet on a wire rack.
(Store in an airtight container, up to 1 week.)