I’ve been testing out quinoa cake recipes for a while now, and this is the winner, hands down! The whole family really likes it, which is saying a lot. I serve it with a lemony aioli (stir up some real mayo with some pureed garlic, fresh lemon juice, and s & p).
- 2 cups cooked, cooled quinoa (about 1 cup uncooked will yield 2 – 3 cups of cooked)
- 1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Place all ingredients, except for the oil, into a mixing bowl and stir together until well combined. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil into a large sauté pan over medium heat; it is hot enough when a droplet of water jumps when sprinkled into the pan.
- Form 1⁄4 cup patties with the quinoa mixture and place in the heated sauté pan, 3 or 4 at a time.
- Cook quinoa cakes for 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy. Repeat with the remaining patties until all of the cakes have been cooked.