Niall’s grilled shrimp recipe, discovered in Uncle Bruce’s ATK grilling book.
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lime zest
- 5 Tablespoons fresh lime juice (~3 limes)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 seeded and chopped jalapeño chile
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 + 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and butterflied
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1. FOR THE MARINADE: Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Measure out and reserve 2 tablespoons of the marinade for serving.
2. FOR THE SHRIMP: Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels, add them to the remaining marinade and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and thread them onto skewers. Sprinkle one side of the shrimp with the sugar.
3. Turn all the burners on a gas grill to high, cover, and heat the grill until hot, about 15 minutes.
4. Clean and oil the cooking grate. Place the shrimp, sugared side down, on the grill. Cook, covered, until lightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes
5. Flip the shrimp and slide them to the cooler part of the grill, and turn off all the burners. Cover and continue to cook the shrimp until the second side is no longer translucent, 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Remove the shrimp from the skewers, toss with the reserved 2 tablespoons of marinade, and serve.