4 to 6 servings (for on toast, biscuits, or puff pastry)
Note: prepare the sauce, and the vegetables at the same time, if able
A. The Chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded; tuna would also work!
B. The Sauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, half-and-half, or light cream
- (2 to 3 Tbsp sherry, optional)
- squeeze of lemon
- salt and pepper
- 2 to 3 pinches ground nutmeg
- Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add flour and whisk constantly for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and add 2 cups of chicken stock; whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the milk and return the pan to heat. Increase the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly, and vigorously.
- Add lemon, salt and pepper, and nutmeg.
C. The Vegetables
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter or canola oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2-3 carrots, finely diced
- hand full of mushrooms, finely diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Sauté the fresh vegetables until tender, and all liquid has evaporated. Add peas.
D. The a la King
- Add the shredded chicken and the hot vegetables to the sauce
E. The Chicken a la King
- Toast whole wheat bread, and lightly butter. Cut into triangles and place on dinner plate.
- Spoon the hot chicken and vegetable mixture over the toast.
- Eat with a knife and fork.