Use any orzo or firm rice, along with any dark green tender greens.
- 1 cup dry whole wheat orzo pasta, cooked according to package directions, drained well, and cooled (may substitute with brown rice)
- 4 cups kale, chopped (OR baby spinach or baby kale, chopped)
- 1 tsp. olive oil, only if using large kale
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) chick peas, rinsed and drained well
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- The zest and juice of one large lemon (zest the lemon before juicing it)
- 1tsp garlic paste, or 1-2 small cloves of garlic, mashed
- 2 T balsamic vinegar (or substitute any type of mild vinegar)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a jar, shake together the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, balsamic vinegar, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- IF using large kale: cut leaves away from the stalks and coarsely chop; discard stems. Heat the tsp. of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat, add the kale all at once and turn over until it wilts, not more than 1-2 minutes. Put the kale into a large salad bowl.
- IF you’re using baby spinach or baby kale: do not cook it! Just put the chopped, raw leaves into a large salad bowl.
- Gently mix the rest of the salad ingredients into the bowl with the kale.
- Pour salad dressing over the salad, and toss to combine.