This is based on a recipe at Food52, by “spacekase” — I’ve adapted it, ingredient-wise and quantities-wise to my own preferences. The quinoa adds a definite crunch; use quinoa flakes if you don’t like the whole quinoa.
Preheat oven to 225F
Mix together in a large bowl, then set aside:
- 2 cups whole rolled oats (not the instant kind)
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa, the pre-rinsed kind (like Bob’s Mill)
- 1 cup raw nuts, coarsely chopped (any kind that you like — I use walnuts & sliced almonds)
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes or shreds
- 3/4 cup dried fruit, chopped if big (I like apricots, dried cranberries & dried cherries)
For the coating, whisk together until thoroughly combined:
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, liquid/melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Pour the wet mixture onto the dry mixture, and stir until everything is completely coated.
Spread the mixture evenly into a large roaster, or onto a large cookie sheet, so that it covers the entire bottom.
Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until it is lightly browned. Allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.