- 2 Tbsp olive oil or butter
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- 1 small cooking onion, diced
- ½ jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup grated sharp cheddar
- 2 cups dry macaroni
- 1 cup to 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- 2 tins tuna, drained and flaked
- 2 Tbsp butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup grated sharp cheddar
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs (or other crunchy crumbs)
Heat oven to 350F. Butter an 8” x 8” glass baking dish, and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
While making the sauce, cook macaroni according to package directions, drain, and set aside in its pot. Do not rinse!
Heat butter in medium sized saucepan, and add celery and onion. Sauté, without browning, for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add jalapeno and cook for 3 more minutes.
Add the seasoning and flour to the vegetable mixture, stir and cook for about 1 minute. Add milk, and stir till smooth. Bring to a gentle boil, and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and the mustard, then stir mixture into sauce. Stir in the ¾ cup cheese.
Add the peas and the tuna to the hot mixture. Gently stir until combined. Pour into the buttered pan, and even out with back of spoon.
Mix the topping ingredients together in a medium bowl (I use my fingers). Sprinkle topping evenly over casserole.
Bake for about 30 minutes, until bubbling and browned.