Active time: 1 minute
Total time:2 minutes
- 1 egg yolk (about 35 grams)
- 1 teaspoon water (about 5 grams)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice from1 lemon (about 5 grams)
- Kosher salt1 stick butter (8 tablespoons, about 112 grams)
- Pinch cayenne pepper or hot sauce (if desired)
- Combine egg yolk, water, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in the bottom of a cup that barely fits the head of an immersion blender.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over high heat, swirling constantly, until foaming subsides. Transfer butter to a 1 cup liquid measuring cup.
- Place head of immersion blender into the bottom of the cup and turn it on.
- With the blender constantly running, slowly pour hot butter into cup. It should emulsify with the egg yolk and lemon juice.
- Continue pouring until all butter is added. Sauce should be thick and creamy.
- Season to taste with salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper or hot sauce (if desired).
- Serve immediately, or transfer to a small lidded pot and keep in a warm place for up to 1 hour before serving. Hollandaise cannot be cooled and reheated.
- Check out this link for a full video walkthrough of the process.