Add some thawed, frozen green peas at the end if you want to include veggies.
Drain, reserving the juice, and coarsely chop:
- One 28 ounce can of whole tomatoes
Heat in a large pot, over medium heat:
- 1/4 cup ghee (vegetable oil if you don’t have any)
Add and cook, stirring, until softened and evenly golden brown:
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
Increase the heat to medium-high and add and cook, stirring for a minute:
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger (or the stuff from the tube or jar)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground Indian red pepper (or more, if you like it spicy)
- 1/2 cup of the chopped tomato and 1/4 cup of the tomato juice along with
- 1 1/2 pounds or so of boneless lamb stew meat, trimmed and cut into 1 to 1 1/4” cubes
Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is slightly reduced and thickened, about 7 minutes.
Stir in the remaining tomatoes and juice. Season with :
- 3/4 tsp salt
Cover and reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook for about one hour. If there is fat on top, skim it off. If you want to reduce the sauce, remove the meat with a slotted spoon and reduce; add it back to the pot when the sauce is thickened to your liking (it will thicken if you have any leftovers to reheat).
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Serve with rice or naan. Even better on the second day.