Roasted vegetables on whole wheat pasta
serves 3, doubles easily but needs larger pans
Preheat oven to 425F, with both racks in the centre of the oven.
In a baking pan or sheet, toss together and set aside**:
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes (about 4 cups)
- a good pinch of salt
- a couple of tablespoons of olive oil
In a large bowl, toss together with hands**:
- •eggplant, about 225g or 1/2lb, cut into bite-sized pieces
- •2 medium zucchini, cut into bite-sized pieces
- •1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- •1 or 2 cooking onions, cut into bite-sized pieces
- •3 to 4 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- •a generous splash of olive oil (2 to 4 Tbsp)
- •balsamic vinegar (a couple of Tbsp)
- •1/4 tsp salt
- •freshly ground black pepper (about 20 grinds)
- •a large pinch of dried chilli flakes
Spread out this mixture on a very large baking sheet, in one layer.
Place both pans into the preheated oven, with the tomatoes on the bottom rack, and the vegetables on the top rack. Bake for 20 minutes.
Remove pans from oven, and give each a stir, trying to flip the vegetables to brown the other side.
Put back in oven for 10 minutes, or until golden, and the tomatoes are bursting and juicy.
* If you are serving over pasta, reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water. First, toss the tomatoes and some cooking water together with the pasta, so that the tomatoes and their liquid coat the pasta.
* If serving over grains, just toss the tomatoes and their juices with the grains.
Put the tomatoes and pasta or grains into a serving bowl and top with the contents of the vegetable pan.
Sprinkle on top, if you have it:
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano, or 1 tsp dried**
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme, or 1/4 tsp dried**
Serve with freshly grated parmesan.
** If you are using dried herbs, toss them with the tomatoes and vegetables at the same time as the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
For an exact recipe, which I have adapted, go to Cookie & Kate.