We made this at work today, and it was super quick and easy. Based on Mairlyn Smith’s recipe in her book “Healthy Starts Here!“.
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 x 540ml tin of garlic & olive oil diced tomatoes (or just diced tomatoes)
- 1 x 540ml tin of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (or fresh)
- ¼ cup salsa
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 clove garlic, or use garlic powder
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions (about 5)
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into cubes or slices
- 1 lime, scrubbed well, and cut into wedges
- 40 unsalted whole-grain corn tortilla chips, or 4 fresh corn tortillas
- Bring the broth to a boil in a soup pot.
- Add the undrained tomatoes, black beans, corn, salsa, hot sauce, cumin, and garlic; bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Add cilantro, stir, and remove from heat.
- Ladle the soup into 4 deep soup bowls. Sprinkle each portion with the green onions, avocado, dividing evenly.
- Squeeze a lime wedge or two into each bowl. Crumble 10 tortilla chips into each bowl and stir gently. If using fresh tortillas, just tear into bite-sized pieces and add to each bowl.
This is a recipe from Food52. Smoked paprika is a must, as is a food processor. We serve on top of mixed greens dressed with lemon juice and olive oil, and top the patty with N’s Killer Guacamole, salsa, sour cream, and thinly sliced red onions (we don’t think it would taste good on a bun).
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cupscooked black beans, DIVIDED (or approximately 1 1/2 cans, rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2/3 quick oats, plus extra as needed
- 3/4 cups fresh corn cut from cobs
- Sauté onion and garlic in the olive oil for eight to ten minutes, or until golden, soft, and fragrant.
- Add the cumin, paprika, chili powder, sea salt, and peppers to taste. Stir in the sauté pan till spices toast lightly.
- Add 2 cups of the beans and stir to coat with the spices and onions. Turn off heat.
- Add the oats to the bowl of a food processor and pulse them a few times. Add the onion, garlic, and bean mixture. Process everything together, until it’s well combined but still has texture.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl. Add the last cup of black beans and the corn, and mix well with your hands. Check for seasoning and season to taste. If the mixture is too mushy to form into patties, add a little more oats or bread crumbs.
- Shape mixture into six patties. Pan fry them in olive oil until golden on each side, and heated through.