Elie Krieger’s recipe
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 small red onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup drained, rinsed canned black beans, preferably low-sodium
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 eggs
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2-ounce) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- Cooking spray
- 4 (10-inch) whole-wheat tortillas (burrito-size)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 small avocado, cubed
- Hot sauce
Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over a medium-high heat. Cook the onions and peppers until onions are softened and peppers are slightly charred, about 8 minutes. Add black beans and red pepper flakes and cook until warmed through, another 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a dish.
Whisk the eggs then stir in the cheese. Spray the skillet with cooking spray, and reheat the skillet over a medium heat. Reduce heat to low and add eggs, scrambling until cooked through, about 3 minutes.
Spread each tortilla with 1 tablespoon each sour cream and salsa, then layer with black bean mixture, scrambled eggs, diced tomato and avocado. Season, to taste, with hot sauce.
Roll up burrito-style and serve.