- 8 ounces frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 extra large eggs (or equivalent)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- large pinch of salt
- 10 grinds of black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, DIVIDED in half
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 350F, and grease an an 8”x8” pan with butter or vegetable oil spray.
In a medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, onion powder, salt and pepper.
Stir in the hash brown potatoes, 1/2 cup cheese, and the green onions.
Mix well, and pour into the prepared pan (I use glass), checking that the ingredients are well distributed.
Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.
Bake at 350F, uncovered, for 45 minutes or so.
You can garnish with chopped green onions, chives, or whatever you like.
Prep time: 15 minutes; Cook time: 15 minutes; Servings: 6
just add guacamole, sour cream, and salsa
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped zucchini
- ½ cup chopped yellow squash (such as butternut)
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 6 x 9” whole wheat tortillas
- 1 ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- guacamole, sour cream, salsa, etc
- In a large non-stick pan, cook red pepper, zucchini, yellow squash, onion, and mushrooms in the olive oil over medium heat for about 7 minutes, or until just tender. Remove vegetables from pan.
- Coat the same pan with cooking spray, and place one tortilla in pan.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of the cheese evenly over the tortilla, and layer ¾ cup of the vegetable mixture over the cheese.
- Sprinkle another 2 Tbsp of the cheese onto the vegetables, and top with a second tortilla.
- Cook until golden on both sides, for approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Remove quesadilla from pan, and repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Cut each quesadilla into 8 triangles with a pizza cutter.
- Serve hot with sour cream, salsa, and guacamole)
Serves 4 to 6 people
- 16 ounces frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 4 thin deli slices smoked ham, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar, shredded and divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ to ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 11” x 7” casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the hashbrowns, ham, green onions, and 1 cup of the cheese. Turn into greased casserole dish.
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour evenly over the potato mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining ½ cup of cheese on top.
- Bake, uncovered, for 50 to 60 minutes, until top is golden brown.
- Rest for 5 minutes before serving. Good with hot sauce!
Filed under food, Protein
- ½ small red onion
- 1 yellow or orange pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 4 green onions
- 8 eggs
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon tarragon (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup whipping cream (may use milk)
- 1 cup grated strong cheese such as: Gouda, Swiss, old cheddar, Asiago, or Parmesan
1. Finely chop red onion. Core and seed pepper, then finely chop. Seed jalapeños, then finely chop. Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When bubbly, add red onion, pepper, and jalpenos. Stir often until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, thinly slice green onions. Remove pan from heat and stir in green onions. Scrape onto a plate and refrigerate, uncovered, until cool, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, crack eggs into a large bowl. Whisk until lightly beaten, then whisk in Dijon, basil, tarragon, salt, and cream. Stir in cheese. Add pepper mixture.
3. Preheat oven to 325F. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with butter. Stir egg mixture. Pour into pie plate. Stir to distribute vegetables. Place pie plate on rimmed baking sheet. Bake in centre of oven until centre is set when jiggled, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve with salad dressed with a light vinaigrette.
Note: This can be “readied” the night before. Do all of the prep including sauteeing the vegetables, and whisking the eggs. Combine them, put into a sealed container and refrigerate. Then, the next day, just butter your pie plate, preheat the oven, give the mixture a good stir, pour it into the prepared pie plate and continue with the recipe.