Doug makes these cookies from an old recipe book; the authors of the recipe are Bev Almageur and Nancy Fry of Fargo, North Dakota. Doug has tweaked the original recipe a little.
Makes 4 dozen
Preheat oven to 350F
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 1 (to 2 tsp) baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- + anything else you want to add, eg, dried cranberries, nuts, raisins, sunflower seeds, chopped dried fruit, etc
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
- Combine the shortening and sugars, and cream well. Beat in the eggs until thoroughly blended. Add vanilla.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, and mix well.
- Add oats and chocolate chips.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F for about 12 minutes or until golden brown.