Love her recipes!
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ~ 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp good garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup water
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tsp malt vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and add onions; cook until golden (do not rush this step)
- Add the garlic and ginger, and sauté for another minute. Stir in the spices, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beef, breaking up lumps with a spoon, and sauté until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the tomatoes, 1 cup of water, and season with salt and pepper. Simmer, partially covered, about 10 minutes.
- Add the peas, and cook another 5 minutes, partially covered.
- Stir in the vinegar and chopped cilantro.
- Serve with warm chapatis, or over rice.
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1/4 cup red lentils, picked over, rinsed, and drained
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, chopped (or equivalent canned)
- 1 (15 1/2 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon peeled, minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, return to a boil, and cook until fork-tender, 7 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside, reserving the cooking liquid.
Add lentils to the same saucepan and return cooking liquid to a boil. Cook until lentils are tender but still hold their shape, 8-10 minutes; drain and set aside.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl in the oil, then add the onion, jalapeño, garam masala, and cumin seeds. Cook until onion begins to soften, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the potatoes, tomatoes, chickpeas, ginger, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes soften and potatoes are tender, 4-5 minutes. Stir in lentils and cook until heated through, 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro.
Serve on top of basmati rice.