In a blender puree together:
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, UNdrained
- 2 jalapeño peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 TBSP fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped (or use the tube kind)
When smooth, blend in:
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tsp kosher salt
Turn the Instant Pot on to “Sauté” and add:
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted, or ghee
When the butter is hot, brown both sides of:
- 12, or up to about 20 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Do this in batches so as not to crowd the pot. When pieces are browned, put them into a bowl.
When all chicken has been browned, and removed from the Instant Pot, in the hot butter sauté until golden:
- 1 cooking onion, finely chopped
To the golden onion, stir in:
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 TBSP paprika
Stir for about 30 seconds, then pour in the mixture in the blender, along with the chicken & its accumulated juices. Stir very gently to combine. Cancel the “Sauté” command.
Put the lid on, and lock it into place. Ensure that the vent is set to closed.
Select manual “HIGH” pressure, and 5 minutes cook time.
When timer beeps, turn the Instant Pot off, and let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, use a quick pressure release to let out any remaining pressure; watch out for steam!
The fat will have floated to the top of the butter chicken. Skim off about 3 to 4 TBSP of the hot butter putting it into a small bowl. Into the small bowl of hot butter, whisk in until very smooth:
Select “Sauté” again, then stir in:
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp toasted cumin seeds, ground up (toast in dry frying pan and crush them before hand)
- the butter and flour mixture that is in the small bowl
Bring to a boil, and cook for a few minutes to thicken. Turn off Instant Pot and add:
- 1/4 to 1/2 firmly packed minced fresh cilantro
Stir gently, and serve.