- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- red or yellow onion, chopped
- a couple of cloves of garlic, chopped
- big drizzle of olive oil
- Spike Seasoning to taste (or use any all-purpose seasoning mix that you like the flavor of)
- fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 12 links (about 10 oz.) turkey breakfast sausage links
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella, grated
Preheat oven to 450F
Spray a medium-sized baking dish with non-stick spray.
Put veggies into the baking dish, toss with ~1 teaspoon olive oil, sprinkle with seasoning and fresh-ground black pepper, and put the dish in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
While the veggies cook, heat olive oil in a non-stick pan, add the sausages and cook over medium-high heat until they’re nicely browned on all sides, about 10-12 minutes.
Remove to cutting board, line them up, and cut sausages into bite-sized pieces (alternatively, cut up the sausages beforehand and saute the pieces).
When the peppers have cooked for 20 minutes, stir in the cooked sausages and bake for 5 minutes more.
Remove from oven, turn oven to BROIL, sprinkle the grated Mozzarella over the top and return dish to oven to broil for a couple of minutes, or until the cheese is nicely melted and starting to brown. Serve hot.
This is the best non-flour pizza crust I’ve found; it’s very flavourful, and not dry and crumbly. I think if it were pressed very thinly and baked longer, it would make delicious crackers. Based on a recipe at ruled.me
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 Tbsp psyllium husk powder
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning (I like PC Italian in the grinder)
- pinch salt (or 1/2 tsp if your Italian seasoning doesn’t have any in it)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 ounces (3Tbsp) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (or 4 ounces mozzarella and 4 ounces cheddar)
- 1 large egg, whisked lightly
Preheat oven to 400F.
- Whisk together the almond flour, psyllium, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, place the cheese, and microwave at 50% power until it is melted just enough to stir it.
- Stir the melted cheese until smooth, then dump in the dry ingredient mixture. Mix well — this takes some time!
- While the cheese is still warm, add the cream cheese, preferably in little pieces at a time. Stir like crazy.
- Add the whisked egg, and again, stir like mad with a sturdy spoon. The mixture will be sticky, not bread-dough-like.
- Grease a pizza pan REALLY well, or use greased parchment paper on a pan, and scrape the dough into the centre. With very well oiled hands, gently pat and press the dough out to the edges.
- Pop into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven, and run a thin spatula under the crust, so that you can flip it. When the crust is loosened, place a cutting board on top of it, and keeping the pan and the board together, flip the whole thing over. Hopefully it will come out, but if it doesn’t, just repeat the process.
- Slide the upside-down crust back onto the pan, adding more oil to the pan if it looks dry.
- Bake for another 2-4 minutes.
- Use while hot to make a pizza, or save it to make pizza later. Add toppings of your choice, and bake for 5 minutes or so.