I do this by “feel” and observation of the proportions.
- half a lemon, squeezed
- drizzle of olive oil
- drizzle of maple syrup (the real stuff, only)
- handful of sliced, toasted almonds
- handful of dried cherries, roughly chopped
- handful of freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Tear the leafy parts of the kale off of the stalks, and discard stalks. Wash and dry kale leaves, then finely shred with a knife.
Place the kale into a bowl, pour in the lemon juice, add a pinch of salt, and then massage the leaves for a minute or so. Set aside for about half an hour.
Toss in the remaining ingredients, making sure that everything is coated with the dressing ingredients. Taste, and adjust seasonings until it suits your taste. Also feel free add more olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup if it needs it.
Top with additional Parmesan cheese (shaved, if you have it).