This was my children’s favourite play dough. I like it because one doesn’t end up with salty, crusty hands when using it, and it doesn’t need a stovetop to cook it on.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp alum (from bulk store)
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp boiling water
- Food colouring, if desired
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the dry ingredients together and make a well in the center; add food colouring to water.
- Pour the boiling (coloured) water into the well, and mix thoroughly until all the flour is moistened.
- When cool enough to handle, knead the dough until it is smooth.
- Store in the fridge.
- to add interest, mix in with the dry ingredients: glitter, strongly scented spices, cake sprinkles, etc
- use koolaid powder to colour the water, or add it to the dry ingredients prior to adding the water