- 1 cup raw cashews or cashew pieces
- Water to cover, OR, *boiling water to cover
1. a) Put the cashews into a bowl, or 2-cup measure, cover with water, and let sit overnight ~8 hours.
* b) Put the cashews into a heat-safe bowl, and cover generously with boiling water. Let sit for ~2 hours.
2. After soaking period is over, using a fine colander, drain the water off of the cashews, discarding the water. Rinse cashews well.
3. Put the drained and rinsed cashews into a small blender with 1/2 to 1 cup fresh water.
4. Blend on high speed until the cream is smooth, and at your desired consistency. Add a pinch of salt, if desired.
My take on a recipe found on the Instant Pot web site. It could just as easily be done on a stovetop!
Making Chickpea Vegetable Stew using chickpeas done in the Instant Pot
Serve over top of whole wheat couscous or brown rice.
Sauté in the Instant Pot:
- 1 Tbsp butter (use olive oil if you want it to be vegan)
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 large carrot, diced (about .5 to 1 cup)
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- big handful of green beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
When onion is translucent, add and sauté the spices until they are fragrant:
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp Indian red chilli powder, or cayenne
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp kosher salt
Turn off sauté and add to the Instant Pot:
- 2 or 3 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 28oz can stewed tomatoes, drained and cut up with scissors
- 1 can coconut milk, 13.5oz
Stir gently to mix. Put the lid onto the Instant Pot, and select “Soup”, reducing the cook time to 10 minutes. Do a quick release when the time is up.
If desired, add a handful of:
- cilantro, finely chopped
- toasted cashews or other nuts, chopped (can also use as garnish)
And stir. Taste and adjust for seasonings.