We made this at work today, and it was super quick and easy. Based on Mairlyn Smith’s recipe in her book “Healthy Starts Here!“.
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 x 540ml tin of garlic & olive oil diced tomatoes (or just diced tomatoes)
- 1 x 540ml tin of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (or fresh)
- ¼ cup salsa
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 clove garlic, or use garlic powder
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions (about 5)
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into cubes or slices
- 1 lime, scrubbed well, and cut into wedges
- 40 unsalted whole-grain corn tortilla chips, or 4 fresh corn tortillas
- Bring the broth to a boil in a soup pot.
- Add the undrained tomatoes, black beans, corn, salsa, hot sauce, cumin, and garlic; bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Add cilantro, stir, and remove from heat.
- Ladle the soup into 4 deep soup bowls. Sprinkle each portion with the green onions, avocado, dividing evenly.
- Squeeze a lime wedge or two into each bowl. Crumble 10 tortilla chips into each bowl and stir gently. If using fresh tortillas, just tear into bite-sized pieces and add to each bowl.